In this article I will discuss briefly on a coaching tool that is defined as “understanding structures” this will provide a small sample of what type of material you will be exposed to during the life coach certification program.
Everything that we do and how we live out in the world is ran by a series of structures that we have put in place. Some of these structures have been established consciously, others however are not, and in most cases hold us back from our goals. If you think about the restaurant business structure it’s always the same in most places.
The hosts asks how many in your party?
You are brought to your table, you then are approached by a waiter who asks what you wish to drink? After the first order is taken he then returns to ask for your appetizer and entree. During the meal he will stop by and ask, how is the food today? At the end of the meal he returns with a smile and offers you desert or coffee. He later brings the check with a mint. This is a structure that has been proven to be effective time and time again in the restaurant business.
Do you know what your structure with your children is? With your spouse? With your work ethic? With your friendships. Even if we might not be aware of it, the programming in our mind is always working in a preprogrammed state. The question is if the programming is serving us or hindering us? All structures in some level support an underlining belief or an intention that we feel is satisfying a need. If instead of getting up early to go to work we choose to stay in bed. That satisfies the belief that we need to sleep additional time to be effective at work. If this is true or not, it does not matter because we believe it so.
Action steps and reflection
- Take a close look at different areas of your life to identify what structures are producing positive or negative results.
- Make a list of those outcomes you would like to improve on. Perhaps it’s feeling more connected with your family and friends.
- Create a guideline of what you think a good structure to support your desired outcome looks like. For example.
- Once a week call one close friend, three times a week go with my kids to the park, once a week do something special for my partner.
- After 30 days evaluate the result and tune until the outcome has manifested itself.
Be always mindful of your automatic programming it can make all the difference in your life.
Being aware of the structure strategy is one tool that as a coach you will teach your clients. It’s about empowering them where they are in their life, not what you think they should do. That is what makes a great personal coach.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Orlando_Piedrahita